This article discuss the Teachers of English to Speakers of Other Languages also referred to as the TESOL Certification.
TESOL Certification Overview
The TESOL or Teachers of English to Speakers of Other Languages is an English language certification. The TESOL also goes under the name of TEFL which is also referred to as the Teaching English as a Foreign Language certification. The TESOL is a serious investment that can be used to enrich a recipient’s life as well as further their careers. The TESOL certifications allow for teachers to teach subjects such as English as a Foreign Language or EFL and also English as a Second Language commonly referred to as ESL.
TESOL-What is It?
TESOL stands for Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages. With the TESOL certification allows for recipients to teach English to students that do not speak English as their first language. The TESOL certification is recognized in the United States as well as a variety of other countries throughout the globe. The courses are developed to help teach students the fundamentals of the English language as well as teaches the students a little something about the countries that speak English. The classes provide practical training by using teaching demonstrations, lesson plans, and analysis of practical teaching and feedback. The courses are designed to help develop your speaking, teaching, and writing skills as well as broaden your understanding of grammar, culture, and listening skills.
TESOL Certification Duration
Most TESOL certification courses are designed to last for a duration of at least four weeks and up to a year depending on the level of education and the level of intensity that the applicant is undergoing. A more intense program is going to be shorter but require a higher level of education. A typical TESOL certification program lasts six to eleven months.
TESOL Certification: Planning
Many different TESOL programs require a certain level of education. Some different programs require either a bachelor’s, master’s, or doctoral degree. In order to get started you have to find the program that is right for you. TESOL requirements can be found online at all times. Things that need to be taken into consideration before picking out the program that is right for you:
- Applicants should ensure that they meet all the requirements for the TESOL program they are considering
- Applicants needs to be able to schedule their programs around family time and jobs. The TESOL programs are intense and very time consuming.
- Applicants must decide the amount they want to invest in their TESOL programs. There are some programs that are more expensive than others. This normally has to do with the schools that the certification is coming from. The more prestigious the school the more expensive the program tends to be.
- Each different country has different requirements for teaching and it is important for applicants that are wishing to teach in certain countries meet all of those additional requirements. Some countries require just high school diplomas to teach English while other countries require a more advanced degree.
The focus of the certificate is broken down into three areas.
- Learning where you will be participating in language-learning experiences that will better help you prepare for teaching practice examinations
- Teaching where you will examine the practice and theory of planning, culture, teaching, grammar, and evaluations of language lessons in speaking, listening, reading, and writing
- Practical classroom practice where you will demonstrate your knowledge and skills and put them to practical use
Why TESOL? The TESOL Certification can open career changing doors and opportunities that wouldn’t normally be available to you.