Read about TEFL Certificate and other related courses at University of Strathclyde Scotland, United Kingdom
TEFL Certificate at University Strathclyde:
The University of Strathclyde is a Scottish public research university sited in Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom. It is Glasgow’s second oldest university after being recognized in 1796 under the name Andersonian Institute. The school gained its Royal Charter in 1964 and became one of the first technical universities in the United Kingdom as well as assuming the name University of Strathclyde. Registration at the University of Strathclyde is highly competitive. The university boasts an inspiring research status.
TEFL certified teachers are high in demand. The more that English grows as an international language the more teachers needed to teach the students the English language. Areas from all over the world particularly Europe and Southern Asia have seen an increase in the demand for English language teachers.
Who is TEFL Certificate Right For?
While the TEFL certificate is offered in most international colleges and universities the program is meant to target a specific type of applicants. The following is a list of applicants that the TEFL certificate might be right for:
- Applicants that are considering becoming ESOL teachers in the United Kingdom
- Applicants that are wishing to pursue careers in teaching the English language overseas
- Applicants that are preparing to spend a year overseas as a language assistant.
- Applicants that are wishing to participate in volunteer works where they will be working with refugees or asylum seekers in foreign communities.
- Applicants that would like to gain the skills needed to becoming a teaching assistant in ESOL.
- Applicants that are preparing to embark on intensive higher level courses such as the Trinity College London TESOL or the Cambridge CELTA.
TEFL Certificate – Duration and Costs
At the University of Strathclyde there are two main options for taking the TEFL Introduction class. The university offers intensive one week classes in October-November and again in January-February. The university also offers non intensive evening classes available in October-December, in January-March, and again in April-June. The normally cost for this program is £195. A small discount is awarded to students of the university as well as for applicants that have found themselves recently unemployed. These applicants will pay £175.
Course Description and Objectives
This course at the University of Strathclyde is meant to be an introduction for teaching English as a foreign language. The goal of the course is the following:
- Providing an overview of different teaching materials and techniques
- Allows the applicant to gain hands on experience with teaching aids and lesson planning
- Allows applicants to gain an improved awareness of English as a language.
In order to be considered for a position an applicant must have a decent standard of education. This course is intended to be intensive and short in duration. It is an intro course for applicants that do not have a lot of experience with the English language. Applicants should understand that this will not give them all the necessary skills to make them teachers but it will give students a strong foundation to continue on with their education. This course will help promote:
- Allows for a hands on approach to micro lessons
- Allows for classroom management experience and lesson planning
- Allows for a better understanding of the different methods and approaches to the English language
- A better awareness of the English language
- Allows for a better understanding of grammar, pronunciation, vocabulary, speaking, reading, listening, and writing in the English language.
After the Course
Applicants that successfully complete the course will receive an award from the University of Strathclyde. It will work to show that the applicant is ready for a more intense level of TEFL Certificate or TESOL courses.